Strongest Families Institute (SFI) (www.strongestfamilies.com), is an award-winning charity that delivers evidence-based e-mental health services to Canadians. . We’ve developed a sophisticated software platform called IRIS (Intelligent Research Intervention System) which is the backbone of service delivery at SFI. IRIS provides participant access to our program content and enables our coaches and support staff to track and supervise each participant’s journey through their enrolled programs.
Your secondary responsibility will be supporting our marketing department with design initiatives related to our websites, printed program materials and collateral and other organizational needs.
IRIS is a monolithic web application written in Python on Django, and our web front-end is currently typical for web applications developed 5+ years ago: Jinja templates, CSS preprocessed with LESS, and sprinkles of jQuery for interactivity. We are actively modernizing our front-end technology to support our new user interface, which will be implemented in React with TypeScript. Our mobile app is written in React Native.
The IRIS development team is mostly comprised of full-stack developers practicing Agile/Scrum and DevOps. Quality is at the core of our culture, and peer code review is an integral part of our process. Our efforts are business-critical for SFI and our contributions have a significant impact on both our colleagues who rely heavily on IRIS to perform their job duties as well as the thousands of families who benefit immensely from the mental health programs SFI delivers. You’ll work closely with the IRIS product manager, software architect and VP Operations to identify, scope and prioritize your work in a manner that maximizes impact for the organization while keeping technical debt under control and improving the capabilities of our team.
Duties & Responsibilities
As a Designer & Front-end Developer, you will be tasked with:
- Modernization of the existing IRIS user interface to align with our new style guide and design system
- Implementation of UI designs in code, including markup, presentation and interaction
- UI will primarily be implemented in React (web) and React Native (mobile)
- Creation of wireframe prototypes, interaction flows and high fidelity mockups to support the development of new IRIS features
- Usability research and facilitation of user testing to validate UI/UX decisions
- Collaboration with our full-stack developers to integrate the UI with the rest of our stack (e.g. business logic, data fetching)
- Design of other web and print assets to support our marketing department and other internal stakeholders
- Assisting our developers, QA and support engineers with debugging
- Ongoing expansion and refinement of our style guide and design system to keep pace with evolving organizational needs
- Other duties as assigned
Skills & Qualifications
- Career experience
- 3+ years of experience in a non-academic design/front-end development role
- Technical skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in design for web (primary competency) and print (secondary competency)
- TypeScript experience is an asset
- React strongly preferred; mainstream equivalents are acceptable (e.g. Vue, Angular, Ember)
- Experience integrating HTML with server-side templating languages
- Jinja2/Django templates preferred; mainstream equivalents are acceptable (e.g. Handlebars, Pug, EJS)
- Proficiency with source code control
- Git strongly preferred
- Experience with Unix-based operating systems and CLI (e.g. bash scripting) is an asset
- Familiarity with our tooling is an asset
- Bitbucket, Jira, Confluence
- Soft skills
- Ability to work independently as well as collaborate effectively with other team members in various disciplines (development, QA, product management, marketing)
- Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- A relentless problem solver
- Ability to give and receive constructive criticism in the spirit of improving the team and our product as a whole (e.g. code review, design feedback)
- Ability to identify requirements and scope and estimate significant bodies of work
- Bachelor’s degree in art / graphic design, computer science or equivalent
Strongest Families is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment that invests in building a culture of appreciation and respect. We offer equal opportunity to all candidates seeking employment.